Seven secrets for happier vacations while traveling with different personality types is about knowing which friends and lovers are compatible and which aren’t. What’s the secret? How do you find compatible travel mates?
Pssst … the Secrets are Revealed Below
You need to know your friend’s personality type, perks, and travel triggers. Once you know their personality style, get packing for joy-filled getaways.
Google, traveling with friends, you’ll have the great pleasure of weeding through four million results. Aargh! Many travel pundits address what you should do. But not one addresses your unique travel personality traits. Do you know that characteristics dictate your travel style? It’s essential to know these things if you want to travel m happier.
Questions to be asking your potential travel mate, kids, or partner:
– Do you prefer to travel with a gaggle of friends, a few close friends, or go it alone?
–Are you a busy, a must-see-it-all, nonstop traveler, or have you perfected the art of slow travel?
– Do you come alive in a bustling city or on a mountaintop?
Can you have happier vacations when traveling with different personality types? Let’s explore this.
My adventure with the Practical Traveler (ISFJ)
When a friend suggested visiting historic Ocean Springs, Mississippi, I jumped at the chance. Even though I’ve been there three times, there’s always something new to discover. Plus, the area is walkable, charming, and uber-friendly. Did I mention #shopsmall is the city’s mantra? Plus, the shop owners are extremely helpful and gracious.
If you love art, you’ll love Ocean Springs, Mississippi. The area oozes local art around every corner. Shops stock pottery, glassware, jewelry, home accents, and locally or regionally sourced paintings. The shop owners are proud to point to their favorite artists and go the extra mile to explain what makes each piece unique. The area is a hidden treasure for art lovers.
Traveling to Ocean Springs with the Kindly Traveler
My travel personality type is the Curious traveler (ENTP), so artsy, small towns, possibilities for local art, food, and brews are #SoMe. But, my friend Leigh Ann is a Kindly traveler (ISFJ). She’s different from me, very pragmatic and kind, versus my eccentric Amelia Bedelia vibe.
Hell, for Thanksgiving, she came over with a huge plate of food. So why did I cook? 🤣
Anyhoo, we’ve been talking about taking a road trip for some time. Me being the perpetual wanderer, I jumped at the chance. OK, let’s look at the differences between Aesthetic and Curious travelers.
Let’s See if the Aesthetic traveler and the Curious traveler are a good match
|The Practical Traveler||The Curious Traveler|
|She likes rules||I like to break the rules|
|She likes tradition||I’m unconventional|
|She avoids hurting another’s feeling||I’m objective and often don’t take into account another’s feelings|
|She lives by routine||I take routines in small doses|
|She’s easy-going||So am I|
|She’s receptive||So am I|
|She can be playful and childlike||I live for playful and childlike|
|She’s an introvert||I’m an extrovert|
So do you think we’re compatible? We are. I rely on her travel perks logic to get us where we need to go, to keep us on time so I can see everything! And she relies on my travel perks, creativity, and spontaneity to bring fun and child’s play into the vacation experience. As you can see from the above photo, she was having a fun selfie moment being an elf.
A few travel triggers may arise regarding rules and traditions. As the Aesthetic traveler, she’s a scheduler and a planner, while I tend to enjoy a more free-style travel itinerary. Another area where we differ dramatically is tradition versus unconventional. This area didn’t come into play as our travel getaway was a day trip.
Travel Tip: Want to know if your travel companions are a good fit? Then I suggest you, too, take the time to create a simple table to see where your compatibility lies. In reviewing the chart above, you’ll see we had three basic travel styles in common. I also felt her opposite traits would be helpful for the trip for the above-stated reasons. It’s worth taking the time to review your traits for happier vacation experiences.
Ocean Springs, Mississippi In Review
We both loved Ocean Springs, Mississippi, because the city has a small-town vibe, and the people are so kind. Hell, they’ll even stop to let you cross the street. It’s refreshing. The town boasts retail shops stocked with a fantastic variety of local creations. Are you looking for pottery, local arts and crafts, jewelry, candles, and sustainable fashion? Oceans Springs is the place for one-of-a-kind finds.
A Few Must-Browse Retail Shops
7 Secrets to Have Happier Vacations With Different Personality Types; Friends
Here are my top seven travel secrets for happier vacations with different personality types; friends, family, or even a business associate:
- Have a game plan. If everyone’s game plan is the exact opposite of yours; hustle, nonstop, no plan, and no downtime, you’ll need a plan. For those who want to take your time, a downtown stroll may be just the thing. Now is the time to rethink the trip before you hit the road. A weekend or week with a person is a lot of togethering. If you have opposite needs, it may be too taxing. Probably, one of you will come home saying, “I need a vacation from my vacation.”
- If your travel mate insists on structured schedule escapes and you’re spontaneous, this may not end well. You may want to rethink traveling with this friend. Here’s a comprise. Why not do a few structured activities and then spend time being spontaneous? Or, if that’s a no-go, take time for solo activities within the travel itinerary.
- Not everyone needs to do everything together. If you want to shop and explore and your friend wants to hike in the local park (Gulf Islands National Seashore Park, Ocean Springs), give each other the time. This way, everyone can enjoy the area their way. Please, don’t take it personally. It’s their personality type wanting what it wants. Be happy they’re happy!
- If you know, you’re generally compatible, terrific. Also, a solo side trip is OK if you need alone time. Let me tell you, spending time alone isn’t just an introverted thing. I’m an extrovert and relish my me-time to do whatever strikes my fancy.
- Even the most hard-core, on-the-go extroverts need to eat. Refueling is huge, don’t skip it. Not eating may lead to hangry travel mates. Let’s all try to remember to take time for a great meal. Break bread, and be thankful for one another and the wonderful place we find ourselves in. And please, if you’re picnicking or enjoying a nosh in a state park, always leave a place better than you found it!
- Money is the number one thing couples fight over, and we also know a friend who is a constant freeloader. No fun! Be upfront and realize some types spend wildly, while others despise spending money on frivolous things. It’s their nature. So it’s best to have an agreed-upon plan. Here’s a thought divide everything up 50/50 or pay for everything separately. If you’re a couple, stick to the agreed-upon budget. Coming home to credit card debt is a vacation downer.
- Most importantly, communicate and don’t be judgy. Upon meeting my neighbor, I thought she was nice, but we could never be friends; now, we are the best of friends. Put your differences aside and be open to what others can bring to the table. If you don’t like it, don’t take part.
I hope you found Happier Vacations With Different Personality Types, aka Friends, Useful
I hope you’ll use the 7 secrets for happier vacations traveling with different personality types to help you to plan a more joy-filled vacation with family and friends in the future.
You won’t be disappointed visiting Ocean Springs, I promise you. The area offers a wide variety of things to do in a small-town atmosphere. Like the Aesthetic traveler, other introverts would find Ocean Springs aligns nicely with their personality type.
Note: This is an honest review by an extrovert and introvert – WAHOO!
Want to Learn More About the Soul’s Role in Personality Typing
The 1950s model is fantastic, but as we awaken to our spiritual needs, we must incorporate the gifts of a healthy personality type to align with our signature, Soul Self. When we do this, we express our soul’s intentions through our personality, taking inspired action in all we do. As a result, we show up in the world with great clarity, full of joy, passion, and purpose.
Ready to Release Struggle?
Are you experiencing a divorce, a career change, or entering into empty nest season? These are times when critical decision-making skills are needed. It’s not the time to rely solely on another’s opinion. If you do, they become the author of your impending new life.
If you want to write your next chapter, you need to be fully in charge and capable of seeing yourself from your True Self. This season in life is often challenging, so I included the journal prompts above. I hope they nourish the seeds of your personality’s truth.
You Are Not Alone
Are these questions ruminating in your mind; “Who Am I?” “How Do I Fit Into The World?” “Why Am I Here?” “What About My Dreams and Desires?” Do you know you are not alone 97% of people desire to know themselves better.
Here’s the thing, 97% want to change, but many of us don’t know how to find our truth, and we often live a life based upon untruths. So I want to help you discover your True Self, the WHO of who you really are.
I’m also here for you to walk you through the pain of divorce, career disruptions, and the empty nest phase. To guide you into creating a life beyond your wildest dreams. Are you prepared to identify your spiritually inspired personality type to bring clarity, courage, and confidence? If so, get ready to share your most joyful, passionate, and juicy self with the world.
Unpack Your Personality Type
“Unpack your personality type is a guide for those who seek soulful sojourns. Travel with spiritual intentions and reflection at the forefront elevates meaningful escapes to a new form of personal growth. It’s travel personality typing in step with your soul; evolved, enlightened, and enhanced in every way. It’s all about soul-centered living and traveling!”
Join The Movement.
Will you join me on this journey? I believe spiritual personality typing is Divinely timed to hit the planet as we welcome the Age of Aquarius. Do you want to be part of a community bound by grace, encouragement, and truth? Then please subscribe to my email list. You’ll get front-row seats to new courses, my upcoming books, and monthly freebies! It’s shenanigans on steroids!
It’s Time to Discover; Spiritual Personality Typing ™️ — Nina Zapala, an Inquisitive Type, ENTP. I’m a certified Myers-Briggs® instructor with an intuitive side ready to introduce you to a new paradigm in personality typing supported by a spiritual understanding.
It’s time to discover; Spiritual Personality Typing ™️ – Nina Zapala, an Inquisitive Type, ENTP.
All photos Zapala – Page photo: Street Art on Government Street, Ocean Springs, Mississippi
This article has been edited and updated. Previously published December 2020.